Monday, October 16, 2006

I'm Not Alone

I walk with dread. I know I'm not alone.
I look around and, of course, no one is there.
But, I am not alone. The darkness beckons
me and the street light whispers safety.
I cannot trust either because I know.

My predator is right on my heels
and so much larger than life. He changes
in an inkling and reaches long arms
to grab at my flesh. I elude him once again
but know that it won't be long now.

I run only to sense him in front of me
which stops me in my tracks. I cannot
find my voice as terror as taken hold
of my throat. My breath becomes
ragged as I struggle for air.

I fail to see my attacker as I turn
and blindly run. I know that safety
can't be far away, but I stumble
in uncertainty and fear. I hear him
clearly and wonder if this is it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sir James Eric Watkins said...

I like this. It took a twist, for me, and brought it to life.

I encourage you to enter our contest, or just submit.

http://www.promiseoflight.org/poetrycompetition.htm

Be well, Vickie.

October 18, 2006 10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home