Monday, October 24, 2005

Rain Bath

Drizzle drips like a persistent faucet
and the tears slide unchecked from my eyes.
The grayness of the day penetrates deep
to mix with the ugliness that is me.

I walk aimlessly, heavily with weight
pressing me slower. I have no real
destination; I just want to be away
from all that echoes my name.

Finally, too tired and worn to care,
I lay in wet grass and let the rain
course over me until I no longer feel
the dryness of my laughter.

Instead, a bone-chilling coldness
seeps through my body. I rise
and, with creaking bones, slog
my way wearily and deliberately home.

6 Comments:

Blogger Billy Jones said...

A dream? A nightmare perhaps? I hope so. I know these feelings and wouldn't wish them on anyone.

October 26, 2005 10:45 AM  
Blogger Vickie said...

neither, actually, I was aiming for sensory here. This was written for the poetry carnival.

October 26, 2005 3:54 PM  
Blogger DTclarinet said...

beautiful and melancholy. rain rinses, dilutes, hydrates, but can not clean, and eventually freezes in "bone-chilling coldness"

i'm here from poetry carnival. i hope you stop by my place and say hello sometime!

Garnet

November 02, 2005 7:18 PM  
Blogger MissTaken said...

The quiet desperation in your poem speaks to the darker side in me. At times, "getting away" is not much of a relief but is still better than being where you can't be.

Miss Taken

November 02, 2005 10:12 PM  
Blogger Red said...

Beautiful in a sad sort of way..
I read it and thought about what it would be like to be feeling like that right now..

good job.

November 03, 2005 7:46 AM  
Blogger Vickie said...

Thanks for stopping by Red.

Miss Taken, thank you.

November 06, 2005 2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home