Monday, September 05, 2005

Saving Myself

The city is a rancid river
where I dare not tread.
The dead float silently past
as I try my hardest not to look.

While I want to make sure
these are not bodies I know,
the most I can do now is save
myself from the same fate.

I can't carry myself to safety
and drag you along as well, you're
already beyond the confines
of this earthly paradise.

If I can, I will come back
and show the proper allegiance.
I'll bury you with ceremony
only if I, myself, live on.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sir James Eric Watkins said...

Thank you for writing from this perspective. I had a little nit about something. Allow me to reread to see if it still holds true.

September 24, 2005 9:41 PM  
Blogger Vickie said...

I'm all ears...

September 25, 2005 12:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home