Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Night Light

The stars have always been
my personal night light. I
never admit to phobias--
but after dark, I question
the creaks and cracks
of every moment of every night.

I clutch my blankets
to my chin and protect
my body from boogie-man hands.
My closet door is tightly shut
with any goblins locked in
away from my sleeping berth.

The twinkle in the sky
keeps me company as crickets
play beneath my windows.
Clouds will cut off my light;
I shiver against deamons then.
No flashlight needed tonight.

8 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

no no no V, please change the last line, I KNOW I won't be the only pervert to get a whole different impression from batteries in the bed!

Otherwise, I really didn't see anything right off that I'd change. Like the fact that you spelled deamons that way :)

~E

June 08, 2005 9:36 PM  
Blogger Vickie said...

I never once thought about vibrators when I wrote that. I changed it to flashlight. Deamons isn't spelled that way? Fine, I fixed that too.

June 08, 2005 9:40 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

no! I LIKED the archaic spelling of daemons!

Much better sans batteries!

June 09, 2005 6:00 PM  
Blogger Vickie said...

have it your way...please don't tell me I sound like a Burger King commercial...

June 09, 2005 8:17 PM  
Blogger Vickie said...

This is my round robin submission.

June 11, 2005 10:53 PM  
Blogger e said...

"I clutch my blankets
to my chin and protect
my body from boogie-man hands."

I love "boogie-man hands!" Up until fairly recently, I used to run and jump into my bed, so nothing under the bed could grab my feet. Funny how I clung to these silly things well into my 20s! :o)

June 12, 2005 12:41 PM  
Blogger Vickie said...

I think that's why I don't like sleeping without a sheet. The sheet is some kind of protection?

June 12, 2005 1:07 PM  
Blogger e said...

Yes, and everyone knows that if you're under a sheet or have a cat sleeping on your bed, your're safe. Right? Those were my rules, anyway!

June 12, 2005 2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home