Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Round Robin 6

Simply a promise of warmer weather
lightens my load as I shed winter layers
from my frame. I feel lighter, more carefree.
One step forward, though, and two steps back
as cold and rain remind us that dreariness
lingers in the unsuspecting.

Nature's creations do not heed the final warnings
for frost in the darkened hours. They break ground
and show themselves in the unexpected havens
beneath the decayed leaves left from last season.
They dare to be bold and beautiful as they poke
their heads out and demand attention.

A spot of color, that special brightness, in my day
is enough that I can ignore the setback of weather
and look forward to what tomorrow will bring.
There is a light at the end of the tunnel, and that light
shines brightly and warmly amid the chilliness
left behind by the old man of winter.

My own age disappears as I stroll through the sunshine
and peer at the new blossoms that peer at me. A careful hand
can uncover the treasures offered by nature in the gold,
bronze, and silver that adorns the butterfly as he spreads
his wings. Take flight after the months wrapped
in a cocoon of blankets, sweaters, and coats.